Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The road less traveled by..

One of my all time favorite poems is "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. I have it memorized and in fact, two years ago taught it to Annabelle so she could recite it at her school talent show. She rocked it and I was ever so proud. Over the years the poem has come to mean more to me than ever. Part of the poem describes staring down a fork in the road and trying to decide which path to take. The road not taken is not necessarily a road not taken by everyone, but the road not taken by you. It's about taking chances and seeing where it will get you. This resonated with me last fall when I was offered a chance to teach for two universities. By taking this job I would be leaving a comfort zone, learning a new job all while being a student myself. It turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made. Through teaching I was reminded of the basic fundamentals of nursing, perhaps new and aggravating to my students, but somehow the basics grounded me and pushed me forward. I got to see birth and adore new babies through their eyes and it was exhilarating! This teaching gig also made me a constant at the hospital I am about to become a part of. I would often get asked which hat I was hearing that day, student or instructor? Somedays I did both..taught for the alloted hours and then when my students were gone would often "switch hats" to become the student once again. This allowed me to get to know many of the staff and physicians..and allow for many late night conversations at the nurses' station, that I believe led me to where I am now and where I am going. I don't believe any of this happened by luck or chance, I do believe it was a God thing. I also believe that good things can come by taking the road less traveled by...

No comments:

Post a Comment